300g Mixed dried fruit
75g Golden caster sugar
3 Cinnamon sticks
3tsp Ground mixed spice
0.5tsp Finely grated whole nutmeg
1 Orange – grated zest only
1 Unwaxed lemon – grated zest only
70cl Bottle of gin (it doesn’t need to be the good stuff!)
- Place all of the ingredients, except the gin, into a large bowl and stir.
- Now pour the gin over the spices in the bowl and give it a gentle stir.
- Cover tightly with cling film and place in the fridge.
- Stir once or twice per day for 3-5 days.
- Line a sieve with two layers of clean, fine muslin and place the sieve over a large jug.
- Slowly pour the gin mix into the sieve and allow to strain through into the jug – don’t try to stir the gin to quicken the process as you’ll make the liquid cloudy.
- Pour the strained gin into your sterilised bottle. Store in the fridge.
- To sterilise a glass bottle that will hold your festive gin, place a washed bottle on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 160˚C/325˚F/Gas mark 3 for 10 minutes and allow to air dry.
- If you’re not a fan of gin, it’s just as lovely if you substitute the gin for vodka.
- Experiment to see how you prefer to serve yours. We like it simply served over ice, or added to apple or cranberry juice then gently warmed in a saucepan.